Friday, August 7, 2009

Over the past year, I have said SO many times, that my favorite weekend of summer 2008, was the weekend we spent on Martha's Vineyard for the Oak Bluffs fireworks. Part of what made this weekend great, was that I got a taste of what it's like to live on Martha's Vineyard, and see what all the fuss is about. I arrived on Thursday, and rented a "Smart" car. For those of you that don't know, they are those painfully cute two seaters, that are also the most painfully terrible cars to drive. But as with all rentals, it was kind of fun beating it to a pulp, and doing some light Aquinnah off-roading (hey Hertz, I said LIGHT, don't track me down after this confession).
I was shooting a ton of assignments for Cape Cod Life while I was there, but after work, it was off to Ben and Meghans for an evening beer. The famous fireworks on Friday were literally the most gut-bustingly loud, beautiful fireworks I have ever seen! And the beach! From the moment I bought the Vampire Weekend CD, in the cold hard month of February, I thought,"This is a great beach album"; so when Cape Cod Kwaasa Kwaasa started blaring underneath that Katama sunshine, it sealed the deal.
But what REALLY sealed the deal (just now am I getting to my point)is my time spent at Morning Glory Farm. I met some really cool kids working hard during their summer break, as opposed to working on their tan in Cancun(they got to work on their tan here too). I also ran into legendary island photographer Alison Shaw as she was working on her latest book, about Morning Glory Farm. But the greatest part of shooting at Morning Glory was waking up at the crack of dawn to photograph a group of young ladies picking flowers. There they were in the field, dew covered flowers, big straw hats, golden morning light, such a sickeningly quaint moment that if I wasn't there myself, I would be annoyed hearing about it :) Here are some photos from Morning Glory that didn't make the Cape Cod Life article. But you can check out the article, and my photo of this morning flower picking session on the cover of the August issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment